How do I create an Expense sub-account?

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 03:41:52 EDT 2016

In article <571F4B1B.3090506 at suddenlink.net>
Larry Evans <cppljevans at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> On 04/22/2016 06:01 AM, Wm wrote:
> > In article <3177829.xAqeKoqjjn at calufrax.nottingham.standbyevents.co.uk>

> >> Ah, just a dim memory, sorry for the noise.
> >
> > It can work from an acounting POV in that all the accounts under
> > equity are just T-accounts in effect and Income and Expenses are a
>
> Wm, would you please supply some definition of what a T-account is?

I see you've answered that yourself.  But a bit more ... T-accounts
are the name of the things you'll quite often see people here say
debit this and credit that, they're a representation of how double
entry book keeping works and, for the purposes of this thread,
agnostic of purpose.  i.e. a T-account (as written down) needn't be
an Asset or Expense or an anything.  It is just an account.  This
is convenient in undertanding double entry transactios as well as
abstracting whether something is actually an Asset or Equity, and
other fun stuff as you can do the transactions first and wonder at
a trial balance stage where they belong.

GnuCash is unconventional compared to many accounting applications
in that it allows you to move accounts about inside the accounts
tree and generally makes a pretty good job of it, if you choose to
experiment usual rules about making a backup before doing things
you are uncertain about apply.  I tend to go further and play with
a copy first.

> > kind of Equity account anyway.  So if you have small
> > unconventionally nested account structures Equity is the place to
> > put them.  Anything more substantial and you probably wouldn't
> > bother as you don't have the convenience of GnuCash knowing about
> > an accounts special treatment for reporting.
> >

> I've tried to do as you describe in the following .gnucash file:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?preview=family.AllEquityType.gnucash
>
> Is that about what you had in mind Wm?

At the moment I'm getting my dropbox home (which obviously doesn't
have that file) rather than yours if I try that URL.  You are
welcome to send me the file directly by e-mail, the tcnw81 address
works.  I'll have a look and reply in public.

--
Wm