Urgent:Issue with dates

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 2 20:11:06 EDT 2016

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:25:43 +0000
> From: Joshua Owusu-Ansah <oa.joshua at gmail.com>
> To: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Urgent:Issue with dates
>
> I restarted my computer after I deleted the scheduled transactions that
run.
> That's when I noticed that the dates are now plus two months. I have
> checked system date and its fine.
>
> Now it sees today as 12/20/2061.
>
> How do I troubleshoot and resolve this, please On Aug 3, 2016 12:07 AM,
> "John Ralls" <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

> > > On Aug 2, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Joshua Owusu-Ansah
> > > <oa.joshua at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks John, for replying.
> > > My gnuhpcash was always quitting at the startup stage when loading
> > > user
> > information, so I upgraded to 2.6.13.  And it worked for a while(but
> > only when I run as administrator), then today this issue started.
> > >
> > > 1. I had scheduled transaction which all run severally and the dates
> > > on
> > them are now 2064 for year. When I saw this this morning, I disabled
> > all scheduled transactions and then restarted. Then I noticed all
> > months are now plus two months for posted transactions. So eg. A
> > transaction that occurred today 08/02/2016 in now recorded as
> > 10/02/2016 and trying to enter new expense shows date as 2064 for year.
> > >
> > > 2. I am in Ghana and my windows 10 machine is set to use UTC. Today
> > > is
> > Tue, Aug 2, 2016.
> > >
> > > 3. I am not sure about daylight/summer time.
> > >
> > > 4. I entered transactions this morning and the date was correct.
> > > Then I
> > quit and came back a bit later to try to get some customer information.
> > That is when the scheduled transactions run unexpectedly, I deleted
> > the resulting transactions and disabled scheduled transactions. Then I
> > noticed invoice dates are now plus two months ...
> > >
> > > 5. I should be able to read XML.
> > >
> > > Please how can you help me out of this and why I'm I having so many
> > issues with gnucash lately?
> >
> > Ghana doesn't have daylight time, so we can rule that out. Since
> > you've been using 2.6.13 for "a while" without this issue we can
> > assume that it's not related to any change in the GnuCash code itself.
> >
> > Did you restart the computer or just GnuCash? Had you just started
> > Windows this morning when you started GnuCash and the since-last-run
> > went nuts? Did since-last-run create the 48 years worth of
> > transactions that one would expect if it really thinks that it's 2064?
> > Have you checked the system clock (right end of the task bar) to make
> > sure that it's showing the correct date and time?
> >
> > While we're sorting this out it would be wise to backup the folder
> > where you keep your account files and backups to be sure that you can
> > roll back to yesterday's file if necessary.

> [...]

Hi Joshua,

A couple of suggestions...

You shouldn't need to run GnuCash as an administrator in Windows 10, but you
do need to use a user account that is a member of the Administrators group
when installing.

Perhaps the permissions on your C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files
(x86)\gnucash folders are incorrect?
I suggest you compare to another computer.

Perhaps you have unintentionally stored your GnuCash data file in a
subdirectory of C:\Program Files (x86) sometime in the past?
This will cause all sorts of strange issues in Windows (7+).
To fix: Run GnuCash as administrator, then use File, Save as to save the
data somewhere else - I suggest in folder Documents\GnuCash.
Then close GnuCash, start it again NOT as administrator, then, use file open
to open the [BookName].gnucash file from the new folder.
Each time GnuCash starts it automatically opens the last file you had open.

I don't think I can help much with the actual date problem. GnuCash 2.6.13
works fine for me, including scheduled transactions, on my Windows 10 system
in Sydney Australia timezone.
Is it ONLY automatically created scheduled transactions that have the wrong
date?

Good Luck,
Chris Good