Moving transactions retrospectively

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Aug 8 10:39:41 EDT 2016

On Monday 08 August 2016 10:32:50 Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> I will start by pointing out that I have ZERO experience with the
> business features. But as a retired senior analyst, I know how I would
> attack this problem to find our what is or is not possible.
>
> a) I would created a copy of my books for test purposes. I would make
> the name of this file with test in its name to help prevent accidental
> production use.
>
> b) I would then investigate (using this test file what is or is not
> POSSIBLE with the direct editing of transactions in the A/R account.
> Yes I know, using the business features you aren't advised to do
> anything in this register manually. But I suspect:
>
> c) Opening a transaction in this register (one where I wanted to
> change the income account) I would look at it (Looking is almost
> always safe). If it looked normal, I would then see what happened if
> I changed the income account(the account being credited)  from what
> it currently is to what is desired. The worst thing that could happen
> is that the TEST FILE gets corrupted. But perhaps this would work.

Actually no. The transactions generated from invoice data are read-only, so you can't make
those changes from within gnucash. If you try this straight away on the data file (bypassing
gnucash), you are creating inconsistent data, because the business features keep this data in
addition to what you see in the transactions. It's exactly to keep this information consistent
that the transactions have been made read-only.

Regards,

Geert