dual boot win7 and linux - gnucash files?

ETS eschmeisser at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 15:45:02 EDT 2016

Hooray!  Many thanks to the list - I have my reports and my aqbanking
data back!  HIdden files was the critical element :)

I actually miss the old DOS days, where a program and all its pieces fit
in one directory, and installing was simple (create a directory and
stuff the files and executable into it), and uninstalling was even
simpler (delete the directory).  This process where each program has to
litter pieces of itself all over the place, and into the operating
system files as well makes this kind of a process much more difficult.

On 08/12/2016 03:19 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:12:45 -0400 ETS <eschmeisser at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> You say "~/.gnucash/ under Linux" - you are speaking in tongues to this
>> newbie :)  I opened the folder labeled "home" on my desktop (Mate) and
>> there is no "gnucash" there.  I did a search on the "file system" for
>> gnucash, and ended up with 20 folders with "gnucash" in their title, and
>> 1104 "items" in the results box.  Searching my windows drive "users"
>> folder for "gnucash" shows 38 items (most of the log files), and 2
>> appcrash folders.  I did find a folder labeled aqbanking with 2
>> subfolders called  backends and settings in it and copied that into my
>> home folder, though.  Is that where it goes? - Elmar
> With the pointy-clicky file manager, you need to turn on "Hidden Files".
> Under UNIX/Linux, files whose names start with a dot (.) are "hidden" by
> default.  As others have said, there should be a directories (called "folders"
> in the pointy-clicky world) named .gnucash and .aqbanking.  You need to copy
> the files there to simularly named files in your Linux Home directory
> (folder).

>>> The .gnucash directory under windows is also in the user's 'Home'
>>> directory. But on Windows this is a less common directory to access