dual boot win7 and linux - gnucash files?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Aug 12 15:19:41 EDT 2016

At Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:12:45 -0400 ETS <eschmeisser at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> You say "~/.gnucash/ under Linux" - you are speaking in tongues to this
> newbie :)  I opened the folder labeled "home" on my desktop (Mate) and
> there is no "gnucash" there.  I did a search on the "file system" for
> gnucash, and ended up with 20 folders with "gnucash" in their title, and
> 1104 "items" in the results box.  Searching my windows drive "users"
> folder for "gnucash" shows 38 items (most of the log files), and 2
> appcrash folders.  I did find a folder labeled aqbanking with 2
> subfolders called  backends and settings in it and copied that into my
> home folder, though.  Is that where it goes? - Elmar

With the pointy-clicky file manager, you need to turn on "Hidden Files".
Under UNIX/Linux, files whose names start with a dot (.) are "hidden" by
default.  As others have said, there should be a directories (called "folders"
in the pointy-clicky world) named .gnucash and .aqbanking.  You need to copy
the files there to simularly named files in your Linux Home directory
(folder).

> On 08/12/2016 01:21 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> > > The reports and the like are stored under ~/.gnucash/ under Linux.
> >
> > > This is *separate* from the account (books) file, which only has the
> >
> > > bookkeeping data. I am not sure where the ~/.gnucash/ data is stored
> >
> > > under MS-Windows. It is probably whereever MS-Windows stored
> >
> > > "preferences". You need to copy the files there over to your Linux's
> >
> > > ~/.gnucash/ directory. ("~/" is your Linux "Home" directory).
> >

> > The .gnucash directory under windows is also in the user's 'Home'
> > directory. But on Windows this is a less common directory to access
> > directly:
> >
> > c:\Users\<yourusername>\.gnucash
> >
> > I believe for online data, you'll also need
> >
> > c:\Users\<yourusername>\.aqbanking
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933