Data entry problem

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Aug 26 16:30:03 EDT 2016

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:30:24 -0700
"John R. Sowden" <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:

> Every once in a while I retry gc, and I often get hung up on the data
> entry.  This time I am trying to enter a business deposit. The name
> is "deposit".  when I enter the name gc brings into the transaction
> not only the name and also the account number of a previous 'Deposit'
> transaction, but also  the amount.  That is error prone for data
> entry. As I am entering my various income account numbers and
> amounts, I noticed I ended up with a 7,000 'imbalance-USD'.  Is there
> a way to stop , at least the copying of a previous amount.  It is not
> unusual to have more than one transactions to a name, a little less
> usual to have the transaction to the same account number, but the
> same amount is getting in the way of smooth data entry.  Spreadsheets
> don't copy down an amount like they do text for a cell with the same
> starting text.

This is the way Gnucash works, so I'd like to suggest some alteration
in your thinking about this.
Gnucash knows that the entry is a deposit, because you put the value in
the column which increases the balance.
Calling it "Deposit" is superfluous, and not expected by the program.
If you call it with a name which reflects the source of the deposit eg
"Sarah" "Company A" you will initially get a blank line, but next time
you use one of those terms then autofill will start, and you will see
the behaviour which is currently annoying you. If "Company A" always is
in the same income account, then only the amount will need to be
changed.
If the transaction contained a split you can have Imbalance turning up,
these need more care.

Liz