Data entry problem

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Fri Aug 26 17:16:47 EDT 2016

I think we are getting astray from what I asked about.  I got the "There
is at present no way to disable autofill".  And I got the select "Date
of entry".  It worked.

I understand that an accounting program is not a spreadsheet.  I was
referring to the fact that a spreadsheet that is often used for
financial matters DOES NOT copy down an amount, but it does copy down
words, in the name of ease and accuracy.

Re: increasing accuracy by putting an amount that I do not want entered
into a field does not increase accuracy.  Re: the use of the word
"deposit", I use that for searching purposes, and sometimes a name or
payee is a required field.  At the GL level, I only want to know where
the funds went (which income account, not which of 1,200 or so customers
paid that amount.  That is the job of my AR system.

I am entering with the tab.  After I write the name and press tab, it
copies the amount of the previous transaction with that name. Like when
I pay my about 15 AT&T bills, it would put the amount of my previous
AT&T payment in to the new payment.  That is neither easy nor accuracy.

John