Copying transactions from one book to another

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:29:05 EDT 2016

Kurt,

I am not sure that this is sanctioned by the developers because it has the
potential to shoot yourself in the foot if you are careless, but I think it
works.  This is using the standard GnuCash program in Windows or Linux.

First open your destination file with GnuCash.  Then, without closing that
file open your source file.  It may be necessary to do this from the
operating system rather than through the GnuCash File Menu button.  I don't
know if that works on Apple machinery.

Navigate to the desired transaction and from the menubar select
Transaction>Copy.

Switch to the destination file and go to the target account register, which
hopefully has the same name as the source account had.  On the menubar
click Transaction> Paste.  Repeat as needed.

When you are done, close the source file first before closing the
destination file.

If the user preferences were different between the two files, they should
stay ok if you use that sequence, but there is no guarantee.

David C