Copying transactions from one book to another

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 31 10:25:47 EDT 2016

Hi,

Dean Gibson <gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com> writes:

> And indeed, I verified that it also works in Windows 10.
>
> That having been said, and since it works, it would be really nice
> enhancement to GnuCash to allow two (or more) files to be open in one
> instance of GnuCash at the same time, just like Microsoft Excel, Word,
> and many other programs.  Just like in those programs, there is an
> occasional need to copy stuff from one "instance" to another.
>
> Granted, this might be a significant amount of additional work, and
> since one can always just start another actual instance.  My point is,
> it's not intuitive that you can do that (like it is for the above
> examples).  I regularly go back and forth between my personal account
> file and my business file, with the attendant save/load delays.  Now
> that I know I can run multiple instances, that may change.

It is.  There is, unfortunately, a lot of global state that is kept,
specifically about the "current session".  There are lots of APIs that,
unfortunately, assume it can look up the "current book" -- they don't
have any context.  Changing all this code so each call takes a context
would be a lot of work.

> However, this brings up a question:  I have both banking and credit
> card accounts with the same financial organizations (but different
> account #s) for both GnuCash files.  That means that when I enter a
> password for online access to a particular financial organization in
> one file, it has been retained when I save/load the other file, so
> long as I do not exit GnuCash.  I wonder if that is true with two
> instances of GnuCash.  I would hope so (but would guess otherwise);
> that's a significant benefit of having the password retained.  A
> "multi file" version of GnuCash might fix that ...

The AqBanking stores are separate from GnuCash, so it should be shared
among different instances.