Use of lots for gains/losses when using multiple currencies

habesz85 tamas.habon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 19:17:28 EST 2016

Hello guys,

I just started to adopt trading accounts, and lots in my personal
bookkeeping.
The reason is, I'm trading with securities, that have a different currency
than my base currency.

Let me explain my problem with a real life example;

My base currency: HUF
Trading currency involved: EUR

1. I converted some HUF to EUR - for this I maintain a a separate EUR and
HUF technical investment acct
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/1.png>

2. I have bought Securities denominated in EUR - the security has a separate
account
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/2.png>

3. some month later, I have sold the security with capital gains - I
received EUR for the securities, what I have transfered back to the EUR
Technical account
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/3.png>

My problem - and this is hard to explain so hold tight;

After scrubbing the account with the lot function - Gnucash calculates me
the right ammount of capital gain BUT!!!! in the wrong currency.
To be more exact - in my example, my capital gein is 186,55 EUR BUT!!!!
gnucash falsely assigns HUF to the ammount 186,55.

What strange to me is, that when I open the scrub menu, I see the value of
the security in HUF also, instead of EUR - it should be maintained in EUR.
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/4.png>

Do you guys know the solution to this?

PS: I have tried to maually overwrite the ammounts, did not work - it just
created orphan lines

Thanks,
Tamás