Use of lots for gains/losses when using multiple currencies

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Dec 2 10:41:48 EST 2016

> On Dec 1, 2016, at 4:17 PM, habesz85 <tamas.habon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello guys,
>
> I just started to adopt trading accounts, and lots in my personal
> bookkeeping.
> The reason is, I'm trading with securities, that have a different currency
> than my base currency.
>
> Let me explain my problem with a real life example;
>
> My base currency: HUF
> Trading currency involved: EUR
>
> 1. I converted some HUF to EUR - for this I maintain a a separate EUR and
> HUF technical investment acct
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/1.png>
>
> 2. I have bought Securities denominated in EUR - the security has a separate
> account
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/2.png>
>
> 3. some month later, I have sold the security with capital gains - I
> received EUR for the securities, what I have transfered back to the EUR
> Technical account
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/3.png>
>

> My problem - and this is hard to explain so hold tight;
>
> After scrubbing the account with the lot function - Gnucash calculates me
> the right ammount of capital gain BUT!!!! in the wrong currency.
> To be more exact - in my example, my capital gein is 186,55 EUR BUT!!!!
> gnucash falsely assigns HUF to the ammount 186,55.
>
> What strange to me is, that when I open the scrub menu, I see the value of
> the security in HUF also, instead of EUR - it should be maintained in EUR.
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4687872/4.png>
>
> Do you guys know the solution to this?
>
> PS: I have tried to maually overwrite the ammounts, did not work - it just
> created orphan lines

Tamás,

The first thing to check is that you have all of your Euro-denominated stock accounts under a Euro-denominated asset account. That's how GnuCash knows what currency to use for pricing when its generating transactions for you.

If you have a separate Euro-denominated brokerage account you could do it like this:

Assets:Investment:Brokerage-EUR                                                                               [Type Assets, Currency EUR]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage-EUR:Stocks                                                                    [Type Assets, Currency EUR]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage-EUR:Stocks:IShares Core MCSI World UCITS ETF  [Type Stock, Commodity UCITS ETF]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage-EUR:Cash                                                                      [Type Bank, Currency EUR]

OTOH if you have only a Hungarian brokerage account in which you're holding EUR stocks you might do it this way:
Assets:Investment:Brokerage                                                                                          [Type Assets, Currency HUF]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage:Stocks-HUF                                                                     [Type Assets, Currency HUF]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage:Stocks-EUR                                                                     [Type Assets, Currency EUR]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage:Stocks-EUR:IShares Core MSCI Worlkd UCITS ETF [Type Stock, Commodity UCITS ETF]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage:Cash-HUF                                                                       [Type Bank, Currency HUF]
Assets:Investment:Brokerage:Cash-EUR                                                                       [Type Bank, Currency EUR]

Regards,
John Ralls