Need help tracking monthly bills

Chris chris_gsw2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 22:50:11 EST 2016

Hi, I recently switched from using Excel spreadsheets to GNUCASH to
manage and track household finances. The learning curve has been
difficult but not impossible and I now have a more comprehensive view of
of everything.

Now to my problem. Our monthly bills come in various formats and some
like the home mortgage don't send monthly statements at all. I have a
tendency to forget which have been paid and one thing the spreadsheet
provided was a quick glance to see which were paid and which ones
weren't. I am trying to achieve the same in GNUCASH. Scheduled
transactions don't seem work well for this.

The closest I have come is using a transaction report but it only
provides half of what I need. I have been able to customize the options
to show what bills have been paid (what accounts have been posted to
this month) but it doesn't show which have not been paid (not posted to
this month). I have selected all of the appropriate accounts but can't
find a way for it to show. Ideally It would show the one's not paid as
zero for this month.

As I'm new I suspect I am missing something simple or some feature I
haven't explored yet so any help would be appreciated.