Tracking Currency Transaction Gains

Stefan Soeffing soeffing at gmx.de
Wed Dec 7 16:00:11 EST 2016

I did some experiments with this. I'd be glad if someone knowledgeable
could review that (Mike - I'd be very happy about your profound opinion
on the trading account details).

Please see attached screenshot example: Buy 100€ at 1USD = 1EUR, then
sell two times 50€ at 1.1USD = 1 EUR (=> total gain 10USD).
I used two different methods to account for the realized gain
A) First 'sell' transaction - include realized gain into split
transaction (transaction 2 in screenshot)
B) Second 'sell' transaction - use separate transaction for realized
gain (transaction 3 and 4 in screenshot)

Ad 1):
Mike Alexander wrote:
> This aspect of Selinger’s tutorial doesn’t really apply to GnuCash.
>  Realized gains should be entered the way described in the GnuCash
> documentation.
Documentation prescribes to include the gain into the split transaction.
However, with trading accounts I get a slightly different picture than
what is shown in table 11.2 (cf.
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/currency_invest1.html#currency_invest13
vs. screenshot in the appendix). The difference is, that with trading
accounts there is no need for what is the last line in table 11.2, the
balance for the realized gain is automatically added/subtracted to the
trading account split.
Besides that, the procedure to create that split transaction follows
exactly the documented way (set "to amount" = 0 when entering the split
for the capital gain/loss).

Ad 2):
Although not strictly foreseen by the documentation, it is in fact
possible to have the realized gain/loss transaction separate. The method
to create that transaction is in fact very similar to the above: Start
entering a new transaction for the realized gain/loss, choose the
Income:Gain or Expense:Loss account. Then in *expanded* (transaction
journal) mode enter the gain/loss in the income/expense split (*). The
Edit Exchange Rate dialog comes up, choose "To Amount" = 0. Enter.
Gnucash will automatically create the transaction into the trading
account and the result is exactly what Peter Selinger recommends for
this purpose.

(*) Note: It is important not to enter the amount in the collapsed
(single-line) view, as that would be interpreted as foreign currency
(EUR) amount, but we want this part to be empty in the end: The final
transaction shall have an empty row for the foreign currency (EUR)
account - this is good since it makes the transaction show up in the EUR
account (together with the corresponding 'sell' txn). If this behavior
is not wanted, just remove the empty EUR account split line from the
transaction, then the gain/loss is visible only in the corresponding
Income/Expense account.

Conclusions:
- Coming back to David's original question, I think it is not _strictly_
necessary to have the gain/loss included in the split transaction (but:
there *must* be some sort of realized gain/loss transaction for the
balance sheet to balance - be it in the split txn or in a separate txn)
- I don't know if the latter is true _without_ trading accounts enabled
- It would be worth to update the documentation to include the "trading
accounts enabled" situation (at least as a some sort of diff to "trading
accounts disabled") - let me know if I can support here.

Finally: Sorry for such a long post - seems to be a difficult matter :-/

- Stefan