Multiple price sources in reports

Stefan Söffing soeffing at gmx.de
Sat Dec 10 07:05:55 EST 2016

All,

I understand that there are different price sources to determine the
share price for stocks, funds, currencies, etc. in the balance report.
The report settings however allows to set exactly one price source for
the whole report. Is there a way to use different sources depending on
the type of commodity?

As an example, I'd like to treat stock prices differently then
currencies (say "average cost" for stocks vs. "nearest in time" for
currencies). Ideally I'd like to be able to chose the price source per
commodity and be able to use either one of the predefined sources or set
the share price for the report manually.

Note: Currently I'm using GnuCash only for private financial tracking
and as such I'm free to use whatever method I prefer but in general,
jurisdiction might impose some non-trivial method of calculating the
share price for annual reporting - an example would be valuation
according to the "principle of lower of cost or market". Is there a way
to achieve that in GnuCash?

I'm aware that in principle this could be accomplished with "fake" price
entries in the priceDB for the last day of the financial period plus
"Nearest in time" - but that will break other reports which assume the
priceDB entries to represent the true market value of the commodity.

Thanks for any pointers.

- Stefan