- Reports

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Dec 15 09:13:26 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 8:59 AM, Christopher Lam wrote:
> Thank you - very helpful - sounds like you are getting Gnucash to
> generate reports which are generally publishable, such as public
> companies' Annual Reports.
>
> I was envisaging tweaking the standard reports to generate a blended
> P&L with transactional detail.
> This is the report I'd produce and present to the accountant, as well
> as the source documents.
> From what I gather this requires hacking Scheme. Beyond the reach of
> us lesser mortals.

Well since I had made my living designing/writing software would not
have been out of the question for me. After all, when you are fluent in
half a dozen languages (and can read most anything) what is the big deal
of adding one more? << nobody had ever paid me to write in LISP, and
since not a computer science major, never formally studied it, but could
READ something in LISP --- scheme is a LISP dialect >> In other words, I
could have written the custom reports within gnucash. Read on.

But that is precisely the point. Our experienced accountant said "don't
bother Mike". We would STILL be needing to edit these, to add the fixed
text, to add the annotations, to perhaps move things around (if the
account tree had changed) and alter the level of detail. Since would
have to be using a full power editor in any case, why not do ALL of it
there. He said any experienced accountant would choose to do it that way.

Michael D Novack