GnuCash 2.6.1 No Database Option For File, Only XML

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Dec 18 06:41:00 EST 2016

Op zaterdag 17 december 2016 21:58:41 CET schreef Charles Sliger:
> GnuCash 2.6.1 No Database Option For File, Only XML
> Running on Linux Mint 17.2
> The "New File" and "Save As" File menu options have only "XML" in the
> "Data Format" list.
> I'm running postgresql 9.3.15
> I can't seem to find any config file that specifies data storage
> options.
> Please advise.

Hi,

For gnucash to use a database as backend, it requires the dbi packages and its
database specific plugins to be installed (in addition to gnucash being build
with dbi support enabled).

I am not on mint, so I'm not sure what the the exact names for the missing
packages are. The gnucash wiki suggests these names on Ubuntu, which a guess
will be similar to the names on Mint:

libdbi0
libdbd-sqlite3
libdbd-pgsql
libdbd-mysql

You can skip libdbd-sqlite3 and libdbd-mysql if you intend to use only
postgresql.

Lastly, I will continue to point out that even using the database backends
won't allow multiple users to concurrently make changes to the database. See
our FAQ for more details:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Multiple_Computers.2C_Users.2C_...

Geert