Bookkeeping Question - Credit Against Future Charges

Benjamin Soffer (SLF) bsoffer at soffer-law.com
Sun Dec 18 15:09:12 EST 2016

Hello,

In the suite where my office is located, I have the right to use the common
conference room for a fixed number of hours per month.  I have to pay an
hourly rate for use of the conference room when I exceed the fixed hours
limit.  Recently, there was a huge problem with the telephone system in the
suite, so the landlord agreed to give me a substantial credit on his books,
which I can use only if and when I incur future charges for conference room
use (but not against regular future rent).  How do I account for this credit
in my own books?

Thank you,

Ben