Bookkeeping Question - Credit Against Future Charges

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:20:30 EST 2016

This is an accounting question, not a GnuCash question. But I'll give my
answer anyway.

You have received an asset in the form of prepaid conference room charges.
So create an asset account called "Prepaid Conference Room Overages" or
something, and debit it with the amount of the "substantial credit". The
other side of the opening transaction should be an income account, probably
miscellaneous income.

When you have an appropriate conference use charge, debit the expense
account you normally use, but credit the "Prepaid Conference Room Overages"
account.