Steps to import a .csv that solved a problem for non-coders

Paula Maas paulamaas at mail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:44:59 EST 2016

Hello,

I've previously been enlisted in this group with a lavabit email, and
have something to offer the group.

1. Please let me know how to re-sign in again with a new email.

2. Please also post these steps that worked for importing a bank account
as a .csv, there seems to be a lot of frustration about this, so I hope
it helps others:

How to download .csv file from USAA (as an example bank that allows .csv
export)

  *

    go to the account page on usaa

        go to "I want to" by the individual account, then "more"

        or click on the account and then "I want to"

        choose export, and you must use the date range

        select the date range, which can include the whole year

  *

    open with LO Calc (or other spreadsheet software)

        change the language from unicode to:

          + Wester Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin 1)
              #

                (ASCII/US seens to result IN Western Europe method )

        it arrives as a read-only mode, so save it so can be edited

        remove any blank columns and rows

          +

            GnuCash CSV import routine requires exactly one line per
            transaction split, and NO HEADERS, NO TRANSACTION SUMMARY
            line, and use m-d-yy in LibreOffice.

        save as a .csv

        match the column headings with GnuCash headers

          +

            no choice for transfer, called transfer columng "account"

  *

    How to import the .csv file into GnuCash:

        File/ Import Transactions from CSV

          +

            no problem for me that we couldn’t change the row # to start
            on – left it “1” & “1”

        keep the Data Type as Separated

          +

            remember in GnuCash to select the proper date and currency

          +

            if asked choose comma (not semicolon or @ as column delimiter)

          +

            keep the data delimiter as " (don't change to apostrophe)

          +

            Click to import even though it warns that the last column is
            not correct

          +

            map fields by selecting from the dropdowns at the top of
            each column.
            Date for Transaction Date,
            Description for Description and
            Deposit for Amount. (A payment is considered a Deposit and a
            charge is treated as a withdrawal).

                  *

                    Change the Date Format (check m-d-y in GC)

                  *

                    Change the Currency Format to Period

                  *

                    .Rename the Date, Num, Description, Account, Deposit

                  *

                    If you see headers in the presented view then change

                  *

                    Click Forward

                  *

                    The Match Transactions screen appears:

                        no changes were necessary in my import

                  *

                    Click Apply. It reports success. Click Close.

                  *

                    k. If it is a new transaction it appears. If it is a
                    duplicate it simply overwrites the original

--
Paula Maas
President, Founder