General Ledger Balance

F. Eugene Aumson feaumson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:12:05 EST 2016

Using menu Tools, General Ledger, I can see all of my transactions in one
place.  Very handy.

But in this view, there is a Balance column on the right.  In two separate
books I manage, the Balance is always 0.00, for every transaction.

What should be happening in the Balance column?  What information is it
supposed to convey?  If I had to guess I'd say that it should be a running
balance of Assets, with the final transaction showing a balance that
matches the Net Assets shown in the Summary Bar of the Accounts Page.  Is
that right?

Is there a bug here?  Or is there some extra information I need to be
entering with my transactions in order to make them contribute to this
Balance?  Or is there some configuration setting that needs to be enabled?
Or, ... ?

Thank you!