General Ledger Balance

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 04:07:46 EST 2016

Interesting question.

I have always assumed that the balance column was just there but a useless
vestige of the register view which could not be populated because there was
a mixture of values in all the currencies and commodities used in that data
file.  That column is also not used in the 'with sub-accounts' register
view,, where it could be used if all sub-accounts were denominated in the
same currency or commodity.

Just to be more general, I wonder what the Balance column would be filled
with if the register view were sorted by some key other than date?

David C