Importing Quicken 16 files.

Fross, Michael michael at fross.org
Wed Dec 21 23:14:58 EST 2016

Hello,

I recently switched from Quicken 2015.  I first setup my GC accounts.  I
exported each account from quicken and imported them with the GC QIF import
wizard.  It took some time as I went through the import screen and made
sure everything was mapping correctly from the quicken categories to the
correct new GC account.  If you take the time it helps on other accounts as
GC remembers the mapping.

I then took some time to go through everything and make sure that
everything is OK.  There were quite a few transactions that needed updated
accounts.  I do wish GC had a way to make changes in bulk.  For example,
search for a Payee and then change all of the transactions to a new
account.  It wasn't too bad with being able to paste in the new account,
but this is certainly an area that can be improved.  However, it's probably
not that important once you get everything where you want it and start to
use it on a daily basis.

When I was sure it was right, then I updated the opening balance so that it
matched quicken and I was set.

I won't lie...it took a few hours (3-4) to go through all of this.
However, now everything is perfect and I'm loving GnuCash.

Lastly, I do agree with Steve.  Pull in a year, but don't try to pull in
everything.  You probably don't need it and can always open up quicken if
you need to look back longer than a year.

Good luck.

Michael