Change to mortgage P&I caused by extra payment

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Fri Dec 23 19:21:14 EST 2016

On 12/23/2016 5:39 PM, david.carlson.417 wrote:
> Regardless of why a user wants to fiddle with an amortization type of
> scheduled transaction, how could it be done in GnuCash?
>
> e.g. If the PV is off by 30 dollars, can that be changed in the SX to
> correct future interest calculations?
>
> David C
Sorry, don't understand. Especially not how the PV could be off by $30.
Probably because you mean something else by PV than "present value"
(present value of a series of "rents" of 1 at some specified rate of
interest ---- that is one way to calculate a mortgage payment. However
PV would be a NUMBER without units like the "rent" (assumed to be "1").
The units would come from both of them being multiplied by whatever the
the amount in some currency brings them to scale)

Michael D Novack

* "rent" is the term used for the periodic payment --- doesn't matter if
in or out, are  we computing a mortgage, an endowment, an annuity, etc.
The PV calculation depends on the assumed interest rate, the number of
"rents", and whether deferred or not.