Hard Coded Tax Reports (was: Missing priceDB entry)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Dec 23 23:58:42 EST 2016

> On Dec 23, 2016, at 7:50 PM, Chris Velevitch <chris.velevitch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
> Perhaps Alex wasn't clear enough: The TXF report is hard-coded to USD because it's keyed to US tax forms. Even if you could coerce it to AUD it wouldn't be much use to you because you have different tax forms.
>
> FWIW, I don't use the TXF report even though I'm a US taxpayer and use Turbotax to prepare my taxes. Most of what I need from GnuCash is in the Profit and Loss report.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
> I didn't see Alex's reply, but it does beg the question as to why the tax reports are hard-coded to the US tax system? Why aren't the tax reports customiseable especially given the international reach of the product?

Because GnuCash is an all-volunteer FOSS program. A US taxpayer (Alex) wrote a report to meet his needs and shared it. A German taxpayer (Christian Stimming) adapted the report to meet *his* needs, and shared that.

If you want one for your country, it's *your* turn to adapt the report and share it.

Regards,
John Ralls