Fw: Serious program installation problem

John Starkings john_s at rogers.com
Mon Dec 26 20:31:26 EST 2016

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: John Starkings <john_s at rogers.com>
 To: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
 Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 8:12 PM
 Subject: Serious program installation problem

To Gnucash,
I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home. One or two months ago I installed Gnucash version 2.6.14; the shortcut icon appeared on my desktop, and I was able to double-click and start the program. I thought everything was OK but it was not. Although the installer installed all the files in the location/folder and sub-folders I had selected under Program Files (x86), in Programs and Features, which lists all the installed programs, Gnucash was not there; Windows 10 did not register the program as being installed. I then downloaded the most recent version, 2.6.15, and installed it in the same location. However,the installer for Gnucash does not have any components which detect that a previous version is installed and that it must be uninstalled first, with the end result being that two of the same folders and files were installed. I could not uninstall the program because Windows 10 reported that the specific file in the Gnucash Uninstall Folder was corrupt. I then had to Shift-delete the installed folder and sub-folders, after which I had to go into the Registry and find and delete every instance of Gnucash, but not before backing up the Registry.
>From reading both the Help and the Concept guides, I have no doubt that it is a very good program. However, until what I have outlined above has been addressed, I am afraid to try installing your program again.
Sincerely,
John Starkings