End of Year

Michael J. Barillier blackwolf at blackwolfinfosys.net
Thu Dec 29 16:24:10 EST 2016

>>>>> "rm" == Ruth Morley <morley.ruth at gmail.com> writes:

    rm> I have been working in gnucash most of this year and wonder if
    rm> most users close out the calendar year or just carry on? If the
    rm> answer is the former are there any useful tricks to starting the
    rm> new year?

Procedure I've been using was posted on the gnucash-user mailing list in
2002:

  <http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2002-February/003420.html>

Basically rolls assets and liabilities over into a closing balances
equity account, export the accounts to a new register, populate assets
and liabilities (against an opening balances equity account) and you're
done.

I could say I was doing it for some accounting purpose, but it's mostly
to keep the number of transactions down and eliminate some of the cruft
accounts that creep in over time.

HTH --

--
Michael J. Barillier     ///    http://blackwolfinfosys.net/u/blackwolf/
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk." -- Tuco Ramirez