Reconciling trading accounts to show unrealized gains at year end

peripatetic gaute.ellingsen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 02:27:25 EST 2016

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

What I am trying to do is marking my stock portfolio to market values. That
would entail reflecting unrealized gains (or losses) on the P&L. My P&L
would then look roughly like this:

A) Sales: $XX
B) Cost of goods sold: $XX
C) Operating costs: $XX
D) Operating earnings: =A+B+C

E) Capital gains (realized): $XX
F) Unrealized gains: $XX (=net trading accounts)
G) Dividends: $XX
H) Net interest income: $XX
I) Financial earnings: = E+F+G+H

J) Profit before tax: =D+I

On the balance sheet, I would like split out the following:
X) Stock portfolio at cost
Y) Stock portfolio unrealized gains (losses)
Z) Stock portfolio at market value: =X+Y

I note that when using trading accounts, my balance sheet will display the
portfolio at market value. However, I would prefer separating out the
unrealized gains also on the balance sheet.

Previously I have simply done the calculations manually, but it would be
great if there was a more elegant way of going about this using GNUCash's
trading accounts.