Old Files

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Sun Feb 7 12:51:32 EST 2016

On 2016-02-07 06:37, Colin Law wrote:
> ..
>
> On the files, however, you mean the log and backup files (with the long number timestamp string in the name)?  If so then if you go to Edit > Preferences > General you can tell it how long to keep log/backup files.  Then old ones will be automatically deleted.

I've been a GnuCash user for several years, through several versions
(including the current), and I have that setting set at 30 days (and
yes, "For:" is selected).  GnuCash has never deleted a single old
.gnucash file or .log file.  I generally delete them after about a year
(ie, right after I do my taxes).  It's annoying but liveable. Windows 7,
but the files are on a Linux/Samba network file server.

While I'm on the subject:  I understand that most people just deal with
one file, but I have two (one business, one personal).  It's a real
annoyance that I have to sit through about of minute of loading (yes, 15
years of data) one file, when it's the other file I want. So, I've gone
to clicking on the file I want, to start up GnuCash. Having the "auto
open last file" feature be a settable option, would be nice.

Finally, if I move the data file to another location and then open the
data file, the filename appears twice in the "recent" list.  Of course,
the paths are different, but they are not displayed, and you can't
delete the old path within GnuCash.  A short visit to the Windows
registry fixes it.