European Fund Quotes?

Erik Colson eco at ecocode.net
Mon Feb 8 02:47:22 EST 2016

farleykj <farleykj at gmail.com> writes:

> I had a similar problem with getting prices for an ESOP. For this type of
> investment, you get company stock, but it's in some weird fund that uses a
> ratio of the actual public stock as a share price.
>
> I wrote a quick PERL module that just gets the Yahoo price for the actual
> company stock, then "builds" a quote for the ESOP one that is usable by
> GnuCash. For your situation, I would get the Yahoo quote for the security in
> question, then build a quote while adding today's date, and pass that on to
> GnuCash as your quote. The only caveat I have is that I have to keep a copy
> of the module code in a directory separate from the "official" Perl ones
> (/Library/Perl... on my OS X system) and replace them if I update Perl.
>
> There have been a few threads on doing this kind of stuff, one of them
> something I did when I started using GnuCash.

I kinda not like to force a date to be added in F::Q modules. I fear the
user can 'forget' that there is a risk here that he gets inaccurate data
since this is done behind the scene and without a specific user's
choice.

I would prefer an option to be added to the stock retrieval form of
Gnucash. i.e. I'm thinking of a checkbox "use today for quotes with
missing date" (or something like that). Then either an option can be
added to calling F::Q to provide this date or this can be done in
Gnucash and then Gnucash can even alert the user for which quotes it
actually did use a default date.

best
--
erik colson