Transactions involving different currencies

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 06:57:48 EST 2016

Dear John,

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, it did not help

As you suggested,  I have

*         updated to GnuCash 2.6.11)

*         created a EUR-denominated sub-account of my CHF-denominated
PostFinance securities account

*         changed the Sarasin fund account to be a sub-account of the newly
created EUR account

  Now the results are worse than before.  When I try to enter:

Date
Action
Memo
Account
Total Shares
Price
Tot Buy
Tot Sell

08.06.2015

Purchase Sarasin OekoSar Equity Global

58.1733

58.7408

Buy

Assets:Investments:MP:PostFinance:PF Funds EUR:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
58.1733
170.79
9,935.42

Ausgabekommission
Expenses:MP:Commissions:EUR

49.68

Umsatzabgabe
Expenses:MP:Taxes:EURO

14.90

Trading:CURRENCY:CHF

10,590.00

Trading:FUND:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
-58.1733
170.79

9,935.42

Assets:Current Assets:MP:PostFinance:Sparkonto

10,590.00

Trading:CURRENCY:EUR

64.58
What I get is:

[...]

Imbalance

10,525.42

Trading:FUND:Sarasin Sustainability Fund
-58.1733
170.79

9,935.42

Assets:Current Assets:MP:PostFinance:Sparkonto

10,590.00

Trading:CURRENCY:EUR

64.58

Thanks for your help!

P.S. This looks good in the table above, but in GC, the "Memo" column is
always too wide, and the "Account" column too narrow.  I can drag the column
division to the left, but when I drop it, it snaps right back to where it
was before.  This has been the case for as long as I can remember.  Is there
some way to better allocate the available space between the "Memo" column
and the "Account" column?

John Rails wrote:

Ah, Nabble. I don't use Nabble, and I don't know what happened with your
original paste-ups. I see that they show in the Nabble page but are blank in
the email that Nabble forwarded to the list as you can see from the quoted
text in my reply. As you can see in this reply, Nabble stripped all of the
markup before forwarding your post to the list, but I followed the link and
can read your transactions.

It looks like GnuCash thinks the EUR->CHF rate is 1:1. It also looks
possible that it thinks that the fund is priced in CHF because the
PostFinance account is denominated in CHF. You need to hold securities under
a placeholder account denominated in the currency that they're priced in. If
PostFinance is indeed in CHF, add a Funds-EUR placeholder (denominated in
EUR) under it and move the Fund Account there. Open the transaction in the
Sparkonto account, right-click on the Taxes:Euro split, and select Edit
Exchange Rate. Enter the desired exchange rate (I think it will want
10000/11039 but pay attention to the direction) and click OK. Exit the
transaction and it should rebalance correctly.

For more details about three-commodity transactions and why you should
upgrade to 2.6.4 or later please read the whole thread beginning at
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-August/055651.html,
including the two bug reports linked to messages.

Regards,
John Ralls
<<