Transactions involving different currencies

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 12 12:09:24 EST 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 3:57 AM, rsbrux <rsbrux at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Dear John,
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, it did not help
>
> As you suggested,  I have
>
> *         updated to GnuCash 2.6.11)
>
> *         created a EUR-denominated sub-account of my CHF-denominated
> PostFinance securities account
>
> *         changed the Sarasin fund account to be a sub-account of the newly
> created EUR account
>
>  Now the results are worse than before.  When I try to enter:

Don't enter Trading Account splits, let GnuCash take care of that. When you're working in a Security register where there's a price column you have to include the exchange rate for "other" currencies. The currency of your transaction now that you have moved the Sarasin fund under PF Funds Euro is Euros. In split view you're also responsible for calculating (remember that you can enter calculations into cells and GnuCash will do the arithmetic for you!)

Here's a screenshot of a 3-way stock buy, in this case buying a USD-denominated stock from a EUR account. Notice that everything is in USD except the number of shares and the number of Euros. Notice also that because I have trading accounts enabled GnuCash thinks it's unbalanced.

Here's what it looks like after I press Enter and GnuCash adds in the Trading Account Splits:

> P.S. This looks good in the table above, but in GC, the "Memo" column is
> always too wide, and the "Account" column too narrow.  I can drag the column
> division to the left, but when I drop it, it snaps right back to where it
> was before.  This has been the case for as long as I can remember.  Is there
> some way to better allocate the available space between the "Memo" column
> and the "Account" column?

Column sizers are on the right side, so grab the right side of the Account column and drag it right to expand, left to shrink. The Description/Memo column autosizes to fit the available space so it "snaps back" when you try to resize it directly.

Regards,
John Ralls