Removing Log Files

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Feb 13 11:32:51 EST 2016

> On Feb 13, 2016, at 4:54 AM, Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com> wrote:
>

> On 02/12/2016 03:43 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Feb 12, 2016, at 8:30 AM, Richard Barmann <reb at barmannsbar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I set the Preferences to remove if over 15 days old. I still have .log files from 2015. How to remove them and also can/should I remove the guncash files from last year?
>>>
>> Use your OS's file tools to remove them. If you've decided that you need only 15 days worth of backups and logs, then of course you can remove anything older. It's what you wanted GnuCash to do anyway.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

> I am running Kubuntu 15.10. How do I use the OS to delete the Log Files.
> Thank you.

Please remember to copy the list on all replies. The "reply all" button on your mail client is a convenient way.

I'd use something like `find path/to/account/files -name=*.log -ctime +15 -delete`, but the fact that you're asking indicates that the command line is probably not in your repertoire. I heven't used KDE in over 10 years and I don't remember how the GUI file explorer works or even what it's called, so you'll have to ask someone else. But not in a GnuCash mailing list. Managing files is a basic task, one of many that you need to learn before you use a program like GnuCash. You can start with https://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials.

One of the most important basic tasks you need to set up immediately is backup to a different disk, preferably one located somewhere else. If your computer fails a backup will be the only way to recover the data that's stored on it. If your house burns, only a remote backup will survive. A variety of online services provide off-site backup. Popular ones include Dropbox, Carbonite, and Google Drive.

Regards,
John Ralls