Closing Accounts

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:29:51 EST 2016

On 20 February 2016 at 20:13,  <fellowtraveler at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have the Income and Expenses tabs divided at the first level by year. Example:
>
> Income -> 2014
>              -> 2015
>              -> 2016
>
> Expense -> 2014
>                -> 2015
>                -> 2016
>
> However, this creates some issues when entering data in that there are a lot of fields to choose from that I’d prefer not to see any more. For example, on an invoice when selecting an Expense category, I don’t need to see 2014 or 2015 any more. Is there a way to mark those so that they don’t show up in the drop down boxes and then also lock them so that I can’t inadvertently add more data to them?

In the accounts tab right click the account and select Edit Account.
Then select Hidden (which hides it, obviously) and Placeholder which
stops you entering new data (I think).

Though I have to say the way you have organised the data seems odd to
me.  I don't see the point in making life complicated like that.  When
you want to see data for a particular year you can use the various
reports to do that.

Colin