New GNUCash user

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Sun Feb 21 13:52:43 EST 2016

Hey everyone,

New GNUCash user here. I’ve taken over the bookkeeping for a small nonprofit makerspace’s accounts.

I’m sure that this question has been asked before, and I’m sure it’ll be asked again.

However, I’m not finding a clear illustration applicable to the non-profit accounts that I’m managing (used Google search, looked through the list archives as well).

While I understand double entry bookkeeping principles, I’m having a little trouble matching up my entries in GNU Cash. Would appreciate pointers.

My specific examples:

Membership dues payments coming in via Paypal.
If I understand correctly, these should show on the register as Income:Membership Dues and would be matched as Asset: Current Assets: Account where they are held?

And that the transfer column in the register view should show the account to which they are transferred? Should the transaction being showing in the charge or income column?

Thanks in advance,

Shirley Hicks
Birmingham, AL