New GNUCash user

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 16:14:40 EST 2016

On 21/02/2016 18:52, Shirley Hicks wrote:

> New GNUCash user here. I’ve taken over the bookkeeping for a small
> nonprofit makerspace’s accounts.
>
> I’m sure that this question has been asked before, and I’m sure it’ll
> be asked again.
>
> However, I’m not finding a clear illustration applicable to the
> non-profit accounts that I’m managing (used Google search, looked
> through the list archives as well).
>
> While I understand double entry bookkeeping principles, I’m having a
> little trouble matching up my entries in GNU Cash. Would appreciate
> pointers.
>
> My specific examples:
>
> Membership dues payments coming in via Paypal. If I understand
> correctly, these should show on the register as Income:Membership
> Dues and would be matched as Asset: Current Assets: Account where
> they are held?
>
> And that the transfer column in the register view should show the
> account to which they are transferred? Should the transaction being
> showing in the charge or income column?

You can switch between Dr Cr and Human labels on your ledger columns with
Edit / Preferences / Labels
if it makes things clearer for you.

Presuming 2 accounts

Assets:Current Assets:Paypal <-- with Type BANK
Income:Membership Dues

you can enter the transaction from either account.

In Paypal you would enter Dues as
Feb 21
Mary's dues
Transfer Income:Membership Dues
Dr OR Deposit (depending on setting above) 10
Cr OR Withdrawl (ditto) blank, i.e. 0

If you Jump to the Income account you will see
Feb 21
Mary's dues
Transfer Assets:Current Assets:Paypal
Dr OR Charge (depending on setting above) blank, i.e. 0
Cr OR Income (ditto) 10

--
Wm