New GNUCash user

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sun Feb 21 17:46:12 EST 2016

On 2/21/2016 1:52 PM, Shirley Hicks wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> New GNUCash user here. I’ve taken over the bookkeeping for a small nonprofit makerspace’s accounts.
>
> I’m sure that this question has been asked before, and I’m sure it’ll be asked again.
>
> However, I’m not finding a clear illustration applicable to the non-profit accounts that I’m managing (used Google search, looked through the list archives as well).
>
> While I understand double entry bookkeeping principles, I’m having a little trouble matching up my entries in GNU Cash. Would appreciate pointers.
>
> My specific examples:
>
> Membership dues payments coming in via Paypal.
> If I understand correctly, these should show on the register as Income:Membership Dues and would be matched as Asset: Current Assets: Account where they are held?
>
> And that the transfer column in the register view should show the account to which they are transferred? Should the transaction being showing in the charge or income column?

Shirley, if your confusion is just about using gnucash (but you are
familiar with double entry bookkeeping the old fashioned way) one of the
things you can do that might help you get started is to use the
"traditional" (debits and credits) column titles << that would do away
with your "charge or income column" question >>

I do non-profit bookkeeping. I don't have to deal with Paypal, but do
often have checks arriving many days before they are deposited (bank of
one of my organizations isn't close by) so have an "undeposited cash"
account so similar. I enter the initial transaction when arrives (db:
undeposited cash, cr:membership income) and later, when I get into the
town where that bank is to make the deposit, a simple transfer
(db:checking, cr:undeposited cash)

Michael