importing Bills - character encoding

__ tereque at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 03:33:50 EST 2016

hi everybody,

thanks for the feedback. Seems I hit something here actually. Feel a little
stupid to not having brought this up much earlier ...

>>>Does UTF-8 work? It's what GnuCash expects internally.
no, nothing works (tried 5-6 options)

>>>Tereque, ...  Ensure that the file you're importing is encoded in the
character set specified by your locale.
the only point where I can adjust anything about the encoding is when
saving the csv file in OpenOffice. I am on a US_english W7 system and by
default are offered a "Western Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin1)". I guess
that is my locale?

When importing transactions from csv files I save the csv as UTF-8 and then
choose :Chinese SImplfied (GB18030) in the importing engine for
transactions. Choosing UTF here (which was the locigal choice as the source
file IS UTF-8 did never work)

>>> Can you please file a bug report at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
ll try to do that bug report tomorrow