importing Bills - character encoding

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 1 12:43:40 EST 2016

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 12:33 AM, __ <tereque at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi everybody,
>
> thanks for the feedback. Seems I hit something here actually. Feel a little stupid to not having brought this up much earlier ...

> no, nothing works (tried 5-6 options)

> the only point where I can adjust anything about the encoding is when saving the csv file in OpenOffice. I am on a US_english W7 system and by default are offered a "Western Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin1)". I guess that is my locale?
>
> When importing transactions from csv files I save the csv as UTF-8 and then choose :Chinese SImplfied (GB18030) in the importing engine for transactions. Choosing UTF here (which was the locigal choice as the source file IS UTF-8 did never work)

Unfortunately the line that Mike pointed to means that you can only import files encoded in the locale in question. Try this work-around: Edit c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc\gnucash\environment with Notepad. Near the bottom change the line
   # LANG=nl_BE
   LANG=en_US.UTF8
save the file, start up GnuCash, and try the import again.

But make sure that the CSV is really encoded in UTF-8. It doesn't make sense that the transaction CSVs would import correctly with the GB18030 setting unless they were encoded in GB18030. What program are you using for generating the CSVs?

Regards,
John Ralls