SQL - simultaneous GC access ?

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:09:37 EST 2016

__ wrote on Sunday, 03 January, 2016 11:06 AM:
> I stumbled over comments in various threads that seem to refer to a future
> implementation of SQL. Without all too much knowledge of the matter I
> assume that means that GC is going to store it's data in an SQL (assuming
> MySQL) database in the near future.

You already have the choice of storing in XML, sqlite and MySQL format. Just use Save As to select a different data format. If you don't currently see any choices, then you need to install the appropriate extensions. See the documentation/wiki for details.

> 2.) Will that also change the character of GC from being a single-user
> system to a multi-user system?

No.

> 3.) if 2.) is right, will there be a authorization routine for user's to
> login?
> 4.) is there any plan to regulate access to certain parts of the accounting
> to certain users? (for example a merchandiser being able to make supplier's
> bills but not being able to access/see salaries)

Authorisation is currently by database name / user / password. You may be able to do something clever with MySQL's internal per-table permissions to control who sees what, but its not supported by Gnucash. In the future ... who knows?

P.