SQL - simultaneous GC access ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 2 23:11:15 EST 2016

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 7:06 PM, __ <tereque at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I stumbled over comments in various threads that seem to refer to a future
> implementation of SQL. Without all too much knowledge of the matter I
> assume that means that GC is going to store it's data in an SQL (assuming
> MySQL) database in the near future.
>
> My questions in this regards:
>
> 1.) are my assumptions above correct?
> 2.) Will that also change the character of GC from being a single-user
> system to a multi-user system?
> 3.) if 2.) is right, will there be a authorization routine for user's to
> login?
> 4.) is there any plan to regulate access to certain parts of the accounting
> to certain users? (for example a merchandiser being able to make supplier's
> bills but not being able to access/see salaries)
> 5.) when will this SQL implementation go life?

1: Mostly. One can already use SQLite, Postegresql, or MySQL for storage. The plan is to make GnuCash a true DB application instead of one that loads the whole DB into memory at startup.
2: We hope so.
3: As it is now, with auth present when the DB backend provides it. SQLite3 doesn't.
4: No.
5: We're aiming for the major release after the next, likely December 2020. The 2017 release will be part-way there.

Regards,
John Ralls