Budgets - "Budget Transactions"

Bill Starrs wjstarrsiii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:52:53 EST 2016

I also read the allmybrain.com and that got me thinking about the
"saving up for X" budgeting.  Most budgets are driven by cash flow with
your holdings as the boundary...
expenses and income between you and the other guy.  Budgeting savings is
paying yourself however.  You are putting the money in some savings
vehicle of yours, whether it be an envelope under the mattress, your
checking account, savings account, etc.  That big vacation expense
really doesn't hit until you spend it, you are just making sure you've
saved enough money to pay for it when it hits.

The "Envelope-budgeting" idea would make sense here to me for just those
cases where you are accruing savings for some special future purchase.
If you are keeping that money in a savings account, but want to make
sure you don't go and spend it on something else, then making a special
"Vacation" subaccount to your savings account seems reasonable.  All it
does is "flag" a portion of your funds to remind you that although you
have a $2500 balance, $1500 is already spoken for so you can fulfill
your lifelong dream of seeing the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota before you die without losing the
ranch.

Assuming there are only a handful of these accruals (vacation, gifts?)
then I would be ok with considering it a separate activity from budgeting and
leave budget reports for tracking the timing of actual cash in and out.

Then if you end up $400 to the positive to budget for the month, you can
enter one transaction to bump up your Vacation savings by $400 if that's
where you want to book it and in the memo note that you were under $300
in groceries and $100 in whatever else.  I don't know that this case
warrants special features to handle in GnuCash.

Bill