725512: (The official symbol for Canadian dollar is "$", not "C$" )

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Mon Jan 4 01:04:45 EST 2016

On 03/01/16 06:32 PM, listreader wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 20:50:45 -0500
> "R. Victor Klassen" <rvklassen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This has been open for about a year and a half now, since it was
>> introduced with the upgrade to 2.6.x.
>>
> [snip]
>
>> With every release I have been hoping to see that this has been
>> addressed,   Is there any idea which release will have this fixed?
>
> None of my business, really, as I'm just another user, but last time I
> checked gnucash was open-source software.  Instead of whining, you
> could always modify the source to your liking and rebuild it yourself.
>
> Or, maybe, again instead of whining, if you asked the developers really
> nicely to change it, perhaps they would oblige.  But the whining is
> guaranteed to get you nowhere.  And it also annoys all the other
> ordinary users, like me.

What would be appropriate - beyond my capacity to actually put into
effect - is to have the symbol reflect the locale.  As things stand with
GC, it's very obviously US-centric, despite its use by people around the
world who use a wide variety of currencies and currency symbols.  That's
partly a function of the fact that its development has been done
primarily in the US by American contributors: such $-centrism is
inevitable.  However, when there is already a complaint/request filed
against the practice of denoting Canadian amounts by C$, and there is
not a comparable practice for denoting US dollar amounts by U$ or some
such (the Mexican peso uses the same symbol: not sure what happens
there), you can hardly blame people in other countries with other
currencies for thinking that there is a bias against those currencies.
Given that we want greater use and availability of open source software
that's not the sort of attitude we want to cultivate (having bias or
thinking that there is a bias).

"Whining" is a rather strong word for repetition of a complaint/report
that hasn't been dealt with.

Cheers

Cam