Gnucash Docs

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:10:11 EST 2016

Just thinking out loud here. Every time a new version of gnucash is updated, my package manager downloads it (around 10Mb), but also downloads the gnucash-docs package, which is around 100Mb. As this is hosted on getdeb, it takes around an hour to get this one package (20kb/s currently).

So I'm thinking that there probably isn't 100Mb of changes to the docs each time. Is there a more efficient way of making this available?

 - I notice that English, German, Japanese and Italian documentation are downloaded. Would it make more sense to split these packages up?

 - Is there some way of sending the package as a 'diff' i.e. only the documents that have changed. I'm guessing not, otherwise apt, yum etc would do this already.

 - Could the gnucash-docs installer, instead of actually physically downloading all the files every time, just run an rsync (or git update) to pull the files that have changed down from a central server.

Just thinking out loud. Possibly its too much work to do this for the few users who live in low-bandwidth environments.

P.