Feature suggestion - allow commenting at time of reconciliation

Benjamin Martens bdmartens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:20:17 EST 2016

On the whole, I love GnuCash, and am quite happy with the product.

Something that has often been a frustration of mine is the inability to
comment on individual items at the time of reconciliation.

If I've imported my credit card bill (as a qfx file), I often get
transactions that I need to do some research on.
(ie, paypal [bunch of numbers] - dollar ammount).  Searching the dollar
ammount in my email is a convenient way of finding the invoice for the
particular item, allowing me to assign the appropriate category/account.
The problem is that I will have several of these (& I am working on
statements from months ago often, unfortunately), so that by the time I am
done processing that statement and am able to open up the account and add a
comment to the item to better describe the purchase, I have to look it up
again.

Would it be possible to enable editing / adding a comment to the individual
transaction at the time the statement is being reconciled?  Would there be
interest in this feature from others?  Am I missing a way of doing this
that is already implemented?

Thanks,

Ben