Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 05:21:37 EST 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 08:00, Neal Lithwick <nlithwick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, now I am really screwed. Every time I try to install a missing
> dependency, it also has a missing dependency or it breaks another module so
> that now I am 3 layers deep in trying to satisfy requirements to install
> this program. I got to a point where gnuutils level was an issue. If I keep
> going, I will deinstall every package on the system. This is crazy. I have
> tried gdebi (e.g. sudo gdebi libaqbanking35_5.6.1beta-2_amd64.deb),  dpkg,
> apt-get and Ubuntu software centre.
> Isn't there a way that I can issue an install and have all its dependencies
> for this program for the level of Ubuntu I am running installed?

Since you are in such a mess I suggest that you start again.
First I assume you have already backed up your .gnucash file multiple
times), and checked that the backup is good.
Then completely remove all gnucash packages.  Open a terminal and do
sudo apt-get remove gnucash
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then install the deb from the command line, first go to the directory
where you have downloaded the deb file to, so something like
cd Downloads
then
sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb
where whatever.deb is the name of the debfile

If that comes up with conflicts that are obviously gnucash related
(aqubanking for example) then remove those packages using sudo apt-get
remove and try the install again.  If it just says missing
dependencies then do
sudo apt-get install -f
and see if that fixes it, if anything else happens then come back here
and copy/paste here the full results from the dpgk command (in a
terminal you can use Ctrl+Shift+C to copy) and, if you tried it the
install -f command.
Don't try anything else that may complicate things.

Colin