Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Neal nlithwick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 12:06:18 EST 2016

Thanks for your suggestions Colin. I will give your advice a shot
however, it all seems pretty familiar to me. This time I will capture
all the messages and post them. In the meantime, I have listed the
sequence of events that occurred this last time  (in red below).

On 16-01-15 02:03 AM, Colin Law [via GnuCash] wrote:
> On 15 January 2016 at 08:00, Neal Lithwick <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4682686&i=0>> wrote:
> > Ok, now I am really screwed. Every time I try to install a missing
> > dependency, it also has a missing dependency or it breaks another
> module so
> > that now I am 3 layers deep in trying to satisfy requirements to
> install
> > this program. I got to a point where gnuutils level was an issue. If
> I keep
> > going, I will deinstall every package on the system. This is crazy.
> I have
> > tried gdebi (e.g. sudo gdebi libaqbanking35_5.6.1beta-2_amd64.deb),
>  dpkg,
> > apt-get and Ubuntu software centre.
> > Isn't there a way that I can issue an install and have all its
> dependencies
> > for this program for the level of Ubuntu I am running installed?
>

> Since you are in such a mess I suggest that you start again.
> First I assume you have already backed up your .gnucash file multiple
> times), and checked that the backup is good.
> Then completely remove all gnucash packages.  Open a terminal and do
> sudo apt-get remove gnucash
> sudo apt-get autoremove
Did this and no issues

> Then install the deb from the command line, first go to the directory
> where you have downloaded the deb file to, so something like
> cd Downloads
> then
> sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb
> where whatever.deb is the name of the debfile

Tried to do this but said gnu-cash common dependency issue. Then
uninstalled gnu-cash common and tried to install the 2.6.11 version but
had dependency issues with aqbanking. Removed aqbanking and tried to
install the up version for aqbanking but it complained about the
libgwenhywfar level. Removed that and on attempt to install up version,
it complained about gnutils. That's where i stopped.
I am getting pretty good and getting back to the original 2.6.1 version
which I did prior to going to bed last night (just install
gnucash-common 2.6.1 and then the 2.6.1 gnucash program).