Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Neal nlithwick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 12:43:02 EST 2016

Colin, as you can see, it just continues to steamroll into more and more
package issues and dependencies. I stopped after this last package
install attempt. All the info about messages and issued commands are
below, in red. I will leave it in this state for now before I attempt to
fall back to my previous version awaiting your response.

Thanks in advance.

-Neal

On 16-01-15 02:03 AM, Colin Law [via GnuCash] wrote:
> On 15 January 2016 at 08:00, Neal Lithwick <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4682686&i=0>> wrote:
> > Ok, now I am really screwed. Every time I try to install a missing
> > dependency, it also has a missing dependency or it breaks another
> module so
> > that now I am 3 layers deep in trying to satisfy requirements to
> install
> > this program. I got to a point where gnuutils level was an issue. If
> I keep
> > going, I will deinstall every package on the system. This is crazy.
> I have
> > tried gdebi (e.g. sudo gdebi libaqbanking35_5.6.1beta-2_amd64.deb),
>  dpkg,
> > apt-get and Ubuntu software centre.
> > Isn't there a way that I can issue an install and have all its
> dependencies
> > for this program for the level of Ubuntu I am running installed?
>

> Since you are in such a mess I suggest that you start again.
> First I assume you have already backed up your .gnucash file multiple
> times), and checked that the backup is good.
> Then completely remove all gnucash packages.  Open a terminal and do
> sudo apt-get remove gnucash (no problems)
> sudo apt-get autoremove (no problems)
>
> Then install the deb from the command line, first go to the directory
> where you have downloaded the deb file to, so something like
> cd Downloads
> then
> sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb (here is where we start to fall apart)
Messages during install:
Unpacking gnucash (1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnucash:
  gnucash depends on gnucash-common (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1); however:
   Version of gnucash-common on system is 1:2.6.1-2.
  gnucash depends on python-gnucash (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1); however:
   Package python-gnucash is not installed.
  gnucash depends on guile-2.0-libs; however:
   Package guile-2.0-libs is not installed.
  gnucash depends on libaqbanking34 (>= 5.3.1beta); however:
   Package libaqbanking34 is not installed.
  gnucash depends on libktoblzcheck1c2a (>= 1.19); however:
   Package libktoblzcheck1c2a is not installed.
  gnucash depends on guile-2.0; however:
   Package guile-2.0 is not installed.
  gnucash depends on libfinance-quote-perl; however:
   Package libfinance-quote-perl is not installed.
  gnucash depends on libhtml-tableextract-perl; however:
   Package libhtml-tableextract-perl is not installed.
  gnucash depends on libdate-manip-perl; however:
   Package libdate-manip-perl is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package gnucash (--install):
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.46ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
  gnucash

So, I will try to install some of these missing or replace some of the
downlevel packages. First I will try gnucash-common with sudo apt-get
remove gnucash-common

Got these messages

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  gnucash : Depends: gnucash-common (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1) but it is not
going to be installed
            Depends: python-gnucash (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1) but it is not
going to be installed
            Depends: guile-2.0-libs but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libaqbanking34 (>= 5.3.1beta) but it is not going
to be installed
            Depends: libktoblzcheck1c2a (>= 1.19) but it is not going to
be installed
            Depends: guile-2.0 but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libfinance-quote-perl but it is not going to be
installed
            Depends: libhtml-tableextract-perl but it is not going to be
installed
            Depends: libdate-manip-perl but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: gnucash-docs but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

Ran "apt-get -f install" which ran successfully. Now tried deinstall
gnucash-common again which now runs successfully.
Next tried to uninstall python-gnucash - "sudo apt-get remove
python-gnucash" and got these messages:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'python-gnucash' is not installed, so not removed
[...]

Ran again 'apt-get -f install' successfully and did the python-gnucash
deinstall again but the message received says it is already deinstalled.

So the next in line to be considered is the missing guile-2.0 libs so I
will install it. Tried to do that and got

Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i guile-2.0-libs_2.0.9+1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package guile-2.0-libs.
(Reading database ... 323782 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack guile-2.0-libs_2.0.9+1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking guile-2.0-libs (2.0.9+1-1ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of guile-2.0-libs:
  guile-2.0-libs depends on libgc1c2 (>= 1:7.2d); however:
   Package libgc1c2:amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package guile-2.0-libs (--install):
  guile-2.0-libs