Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:21:58 EST 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 17:43, Neal <nlithwick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Colin, as you can see, it just continues to steamroll into more and more
> package issues and dependencies. I stopped after this last package
> install attempt. All the info about messages and issued commands are
> below, in red. I will leave it in this state for now before I attempt to
> fall back to my previous version awaiting your response.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Neal
>
> On 16-01-15 02:03 AM, Colin Law [via GnuCash] wrote:
>> On 15 January 2016 at 08:00, Neal Lithwick <[hidden email]
>> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4682686&i=0>> wrote:
>> > Ok, now I am really screwed. Every time I try to install a missing
>> > dependency, it also has a missing dependency or it breaks another
>> module so
>> > that now I am 3 layers deep in trying to satisfy requirements to
>> install
>> > this program. I got to a point where gnuutils level was an issue. If
>> I keep
>> > going, I will deinstall every package on the system. This is crazy.
>> I have
>> > tried gdebi (e.g. sudo gdebi libaqbanking35_5.6.1beta-2_amd64.deb),
>>  dpkg,
>> > apt-get and Ubuntu software centre.
>> > Isn't there a way that I can issue an install and have all its
>> dependencies
>> > for this program for the level of Ubuntu I am running installed?
>>

>> Since you are in such a mess I suggest that you start again.
>> First I assume you have already backed up your .gnucash file multiple
>> times), and checked that the backup is good.
>> Then completely remove all gnucash packages.  Open a terminal and do
>> sudo apt-get remove gnucash (no problems)
>> sudo apt-get autoremove (no problems)
>>
>> Then install the deb from the command line, first go to the directory
>> where you have downloaded the deb file to, so something like
>> cd Downloads
>> then
>> sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb (here is where we start to fall apart)
> Messages during install:
> Unpacking gnucash (1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnucash:
>   gnucash depends on gnucash-common (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1); however:
>    Version of gnucash-common on system is 1:2.6.1-2.
>   gnucash depends on python-gnucash (= 1:2.6.11-1~getdeb1); however:
>    Package python-gnucash is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on guile-2.0-libs; however:
>    Package guile-2.0-libs is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on libaqbanking34 (>= 5.3.1beta); however:
>    Package libaqbanking34 is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on libktoblzcheck1c2a (>= 1.19); however:
>    Package libktoblzcheck1c2a is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on guile-2.0; however:
>    Package guile-2.0 is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on libfinance-quote-perl; however:
>    Package libfinance-quote-perl is not installed.
>   gnucash depends on libhtml-tableextract-perl; however:
>    Package libhtml-tableextract-perl is not installed.
> [...]

I see that all the existing gnucash stuff was not removed.  I had
expected the autoremove to do that but apparently not.  Start again
and this time remove gnucash-common and try the install again.  In
order for this
not to become more complicated post the results back straight away
rather than pressing on, unless it is obvious what you should do.

Colin