Install upgrade from 2.6.1 to any other verison fails

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:02:13 EST 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 21:01, Neal Lithwick <nlithwick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok Tommy, I edited the source file form Wiley to Trusty, did apt-get update
> and then I removed gnucash and did an autoremove.
>
> No change
>
> neal at Lith-Serv:~$ sudo apt-get remove gnucash
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package 'gnucash' is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> neal at Lith-Serv:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
> but I do have a question? How come gnucash 2.6.1 never deinstalls? It seems
> that every time I deinstall gnucash now, it only looks to deinstall 2.6.11
> and never touches 2.6.1. Even crazier, I go to the synaptic package manager
> and I can only see gnucash packages for 2.6.11 and none for 2.6.1 even
> though I know they are there because the proram starts up and is still
> working?

Two points.
1.  Since you have setup getdeb as a repository you do not need to
install gnucash
 from the .deb file, it should pick it up automatically from the
repository when you
install it. The fact that you had the wrong version of ubuntu specified probably
explains most of the problems you were having.

2. Are you saying that having uninstalled gnucash as above that in
fact gnucash still
runs?  If so  then copy/paste the results of the following commands here.
apt-cache policy gnucash
which gnucash

Colin