Beginner Issues with GNUCash

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 17 21:19:36 EST 2016

On 01/17/2016 08:54 PM, Maf. King wrote:

> As Liz said earlier on in the thread, gnucash keeps YOUR records.  So, my
> advice is don't get too hung up on when the bank (or paypal or whoever)
> actually process the transaction.  Worry about when YOU spent the money!
> There will often be date mismatches - think for example about writing a cheque
> and posting it to pay for your supply of widgets.  You spend the money when
> you write the cheque.  No matter if the post office add a delay in delivering
> it, or the widget seller holds it for a couple of days before getting to her
> bank etc. Every one else will eventually catch up with what you already know
> (ie. you've spent some money)!   Too easy to spend money twice if you are just
> cloning what other people say is happening, IMHO.
>
> Maf.

Not always. I belong to an organization in England to which I write a
check each year to pay my dues. I live in USA and have a US checking
account. Each year, it is quite clear that they got the check and
deposited it. Each year, the check fails to clear my bank. It is as
though they never deposited the check. So each month it is a little
nuisance to balance my checking account, since I have not bothered to
void those checks. But the organization is probably not getting their
money. Or if they are, then their bank is out the money. Someone is not
getting their money.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 21:15:01 up 2 days, 8:19, 2 users, load average: 4.69, 4.86, 4.70